Before you continue with the quote there are a few things we need you to know:
  • Please take care to answer all the questions honestly and to the best of your knowledge. If you don't, your policy may be cancelled or your claim rejected.
  • When entering your details we strongly recommend you read the help text and important information we've provided.
1. Let's start with some basics about the property you want to insure
Are you a private individual or a property business?
  • A private individual
  • A business
What type of property do you want to insure?
  • Residential
  • Commercial
  • Mixed (Residential & Commercial in the same building)
How long have you owned this property?
  • Less than 1 year
  • 1-2 years
  • 2-3 years
  • 3-4 years
  • 4-5 years
  • Over 5 years
What is the house number/name of the property you want to insure?
Address 1
Address 2
Address 3
What is the postcode of the property you want to insure?
This is the address of the property you're insuring. You'll be able to tell us your postal address later on. Landlord insurance quotes are only available for UK properties.

What if I don't know the postcode?
Unfortunately we're unable to provide you with quotes if you don't know the property's postcode.
What type of property is it?
  • House
  • Flat
  • Entire building
  • Other
Property description:
How many flats are in the block?
How many Bedrooms does your property have?
How many Reception rooms does your property have?
How many Bathrooms does your property have?
How many Other rooms does your property have?
Property used for 1
How many other trades is the property used for?
  • 0
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
What percentage of the property is used for this type of business?
Property used for 2
What percentage of the property is used for this type of business?
Property used for 3
What percentage of the property is used for this type of business?
Property used for 4
What percentage of the property is used for this type of business?
Property used for 5
What percentage of the property is used for this type of business?
Is the ground floor currently occupied during normal business hours?
  • Yes
  • No
Are there any parts of the ground floor which are unoccupied?
  • Yes
  • No
2. Property construction
What year was the property built?
If you're not sure how old the property is, we suggest checking the original survey documents or a mortgage valuation (if you have one). Alternatively, contact the Land Registry who should be able to assist you with dating it. If you are still unsure please enter your best estimate.
What are its walls constructed from?
  • Brick
  • Brick / timber frame
  • Stone
  • Other
Walls construction:
What is the roof made of?
  • Tile
  • Slate
  • Concrete
  • Other
Roof material:
Using your best estimate, what percentage (0-100%) of the total roof area is flat?
Please use your best estimate. You should include annexes, extensions, conservatories and outbuildings in the total roof area of your property.
Is the property a listed building?
A listed building is one which has been placed on the Statutory List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest.

Grade I: Buildings of exceptional interest. Applies to only 2.5% of listings, few of which are homes.
Grade II*: Particularly important buildings of more than special interest. Makes up around 5.5% of listed buildings.
Grade II: Buildings of special interest and the vast majority of listings.

In England & Wales you can search The National Heritage List to find out if your property is listed. Alternatively, you can contact your local authority. As a guide:
- All buildings built before 1700 which survive in anything like their original condition are listed, as are the majority built between 1700 and 1840.
- Post 1945: buildings have to be exceptionally important to be listed.
  • No
  • Grade 1
  • Grade 2
  • Grade 2*
3. Property history and surroundings
Is the property in good state of repair?
A ‘good state of repair’ means that the property is habitable and structurally sound, with no evidence of:
- incomplete building works
- rot
- damp
- infestation
- faulty wiring or plumbing
- roof or chimney damage
- damage affecting the security of windows or doors
  • Yes
  • No
Is there any building work planned or in progress?
Insurers need to know whether there is any structural building work or renovation in progress, or planned during the policy period.

This includes:
- Structural alteration to the layout of the property e.g. removing a load-bearing wall or extending the property.
- Major structural renovations e.g. re-roofing, rewiring or re-plumbing the property.
- Loft, cellar, basement or integral garage conversions.
- Converting the property from a single dwelling to multiple units.
- Kitchen and bathroom replacements/renovations.
  • Yes
  • No
What is the value of the building works?
Is a joint contracts tribunal in place?
When tenants are carrying out works it is important to ensure adequate insurance has been taken out to protect the property. An agreement for lease or a licence to alter often allows for works to be carried out by the tenant. Problems can arise if the person (or persons) employing the contractor do not control the buildings insurance eg. where the tenant is the employer of the contractor, but the landlord arranges the buildings insurance.

The Joint Contracts Tribunal (JCT) is widely used when negotiating an agreement for lease or licence to alter. This stipulates that the employer is required to:

- Insure the works in joint names on an “all risks” basis
- Insure the existing structure and their contents in joint names for damage caused by specified perils.
Is the property built on low lying land that has previously been filled or raised (known as ‘made up ground’)?
Made up ground refers to low lying land, usually found in and around towns and cities close to rivers and the coast, that has been raised by tipping waste, refuse and soil from other areas. This information can be located via an environmental report on the local area.
  • Yes
  • No
Does the property have a history – or show signs of – subsidence, landslip, or ground heave?
Insurers need to know whether there is a history of ground movement in the location of your property.

Subsidence occurs when a property's foundations start to sink due to movement of the surrounding earth. Subsidence has a variety of causes.

Landslip is where the ground supporting or surrounding the building slides away (typically landslip occurs on hillsides).

Heave is caused by the upward movement of the ground supporting or surrounding the property.
  • Yes
  • No
Has the property ever been flooded by an outside source?
Flooding includes (but is not limited to) that caused by tidal waters, rivers, streams, lakes and other watercourses, rain or melting snow, and extreme weather conditions. Insurers need to know about the property itself, its outbuildings and anywhere within its boundary.
Note: You do not need to include flooding caused by a source within the structure of the property, such as a burst pipe or a leaking water storage tank.
  • Yes
  • No
Is the property above underground workings (for example, tunnelling or mining)?
Underground workings include mines or entrances to mines, tunnelling, and underground excavations and shafts (regardless of whether they are active, or not).
  • Yes
  • No